Kale is a member of the cabbage family. It has dark green curled leaves and tastes a little bitter. Considered a “super food” by most, kale is rich in vitamins and minerals, fiber and protein. Surprisingly, It contains more calcium than milk and more iron than the equivalent weight of steak.
Kale is a very crucial ingredient when it comes to My Organic Juice. It is one of the most nutritional vegetables around and has many great benefits. Here are some facts about kale that you probably didn’t know:
- Kale has more vitamin C than an orange
- Cooking kale does not diminish any of its nutritional value
- There are over 50 different varieties of kale
- Not only does kale have an extremely high nutritional value, it also promotes healthy bones, eyes and brain!
- Lowers the risks associated with developing glaucoma
- Kale can help lower cholesterol, which may reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Kale is packed with numerous cancer-fighting substances
- Kale is loaded with Omega-3 acids, which can be helpful fighting the symptoms of depression
- Kale is one of the best prenatal foods
- Contains the anti-inflammatory vitamins A, C and K
- Rich in sulfur compounds (helps with the detoxification process which is good for your liver)
- Reduces the risks of Alzheimer’s (according to Rush University scientists)
Although kale is healthy for the majority of us, people who are taking anticoagulant medication to thin the blood should avoid kale, because of its high vitamin K content, as vitamin K encourages the blood to clot. Sufferers of hypothyroidism should also avoid kale due to its high goitrogen (substances that disrupt the production of thyroid hormones by interfering with iodine uptake in the thyroid gland.) content.
When purchasing kale, you want to make sure you’re getting organic. Non-organic kale is known to be high in pesticides, which is just one of the reasons My Organic Juice only uses organically grown fruits and vegetables in our juices and soups.
My Organic Juices containing kale:
El Mas Fuerte (kale, spinach, dandelion, cucumber, lemon, E3Live, and chlorophyll)
Back Door Betty (arugula, kale, green chard, dandelion, cucumber, apple pineapple)
Throw Mama from the Train (moringa, kale, collard greens, romaine, cucumber, broccoli sprouts, lemon, watercress)
My Wife Makes me Drink This (arugula, Swiss chard, Romaine, cucumber, lemon, parsley, broccoli sprouts, kale)
Greens (kale, spinach, cucumber, pineapple, apple)
Go Green (kale, dandelion, cucumber, green apple, cilantro)
Super Greens (sunflower sprouts, pea greens, celery, kale, green apple, lemon)
The best and easiest way to get your daily kale intake is by drinking one or more of our green juices. All of our organic juices are raw, GMO free, cold-pressed, glass bottled, made fresh every day, and are available for delivery right to your front door.